… this guy was getting rid of about 5-10 excel mint tins. I couldn’t let him throw them away, I knew there was something I could do with them. Do you have any suggestions? I was thinking I could use them as stocking stuffers… but, I just cannot come up with an interesting craft/DIY project.
truebluemeandyou: I had never heard of excel mint tins until I googled them and then found there were almost no tutorials on altering them. Are these kind of like rounded Altoids tins? I have several posts for Altered Altoids Tins here.
- Decorate them and use them to keep mints, necessary medications, bobby pins, etc in your purse! :)
- The opening is a little door on the end…but they could be used the same way, sewing kits or whatever!
I use those types of tins for my earrings and rings when I go away on trips :)
I’ve always wanted to send party invitations in mint tins and with this kind of tin, maybe in a button book style or a scroll?
- excel mints are the same as eclipse mints (and gum) sold in the US. it’s a rectangular prism kind of metal container. um I can go find it for you but I saw a tutorial on youtube a while back about turning an altoids tin into a mini guitar, but if you google “altoids tin to guitar”, you’ll see instructables articles in the first few results. I’m guessing one could do the same to excel mint tins then?
- I have a tin like this that I use as an emergency sewing kit. It could also be turned into a baby first aid kit. Emergency hair ties/pins…
- tra-verse answered: buy mints or w/e and personalize the cans w/ paint pictures or stickers to make it look like a special brand of mints for that person
- inspirationrealisation answered: glue a magnet on one side, place some soil and tiny greens in it and you have a mini garden on your fridge (paint them, optional!)
- dorothyjean answered: I use my Altoids tin as a wallet you could cover it with paint or polyclay
In the mainstream blogging world people get upset if they lose one or two followers and try to figure out why and are consumed by it. I have lost and gained hundreds of readers while blogging on Tumblr and sometimes I find out why I was unfollowed but most of the time I have no idea why (and it’s better that way - I don’t need to know the details).
I’ve found out that people unfollow you for so many reasons i.e. you become annoying to readers, you post too many bracelets, you post too many times a day, you post something they don’t agree with, you become boring, you post roundups etc… I know this because if something rubs me the wrong way (big time) about someone’s post I’ll just stop blogging DIYs from their site and unfollow them without a word. Today one blogger posted a gorgeous handpiece and called it a “slave bracelet” and another posted examples of real fur - two of my “deal breakers”.
Some of you may unfollow me for this post. I don’t take these things personally anymore and now understand that you never know what may piss someone off and if you lose followers don’t dwell on it or keep asking why. Because you will probably never know why and it’s all for the best.
EDIT: The site that was calling panjas/handpieces “slave bracelets” changed the name.
So funny. From Pleated Jeans here. And then I found this article titled "Blog Readers Biggest Blog Pet Peeves" from Addicted2Decorating here and was in 7th Heaven. Oh, and the slides? I click through them so you don’t have to!
How to Make Tags into Categories in Tumblr to Make Your Blog Easier to Search. There may be a better, easier way but I haven’t found it, and I’m not finished working on this theme as there’s this white dot I can’t get rid of!
When I started my new blog, Halloween Crafts, I wanted to use the theme I was comfortable with that had built in categories. But the theme I used for truebluemeandyou and rainbowsandunicornscrafts no longer exists. I found a theme I liked but it was a really minimal theme with almost no options. So I went on a long hunt for an easy way to add categories but everyone made it so horribly complicated.
I finally found the solution on a Tumblr blog that I can’t find now!
How to do it:
- If your blog has a sidebar you are set.
- Go to “customize” and then open up your HTML code.
- To easily find where to put the code go some place familiar in your blog (HTML code) by clicking “crtl” and “f” at the same time. Type in something like “archive” to get you close to where you want your categories to go.
- When you find where you want to put your categories type something like this.
<font size=”2”><big><b><FONT COLOR=”ff9900”> Looking For Something?</font>
Font Size: Set the size of your font with size. 1 is the smallest, 7 is the largest.
Font Color: Go to google and type in “hex color html code” or you could just put “red”, “yellow”, “orange”, etc… instead. I couldn’t use the default because my background is black.
<b> = BOLD
Always tell your HTML to stop what it’s doing by using “/” and above I used </font>
Now for my categories, but first I again need to tell my code what size and color I want to use:
<font size=”2”><big><b><FONT COLOR=”ff9900”>
Now the categories (see screenshot to see how it looks):
<li><a href=”http://halloweencrafts.tumblr.com/tagged/party”>Party Ideas</a></li>
<li><a href=”http://halloweencrafts.tumblr.com/tagged/labels”>Free Labels & Printbles</a></li></font>
Substitute your blog name and tags for mine. And notice how I ended with “</font>” telling my code to no longer use that font size for the rest of the sidebar.
IMPORTANT: Learn from my mistakes! Click on “Update Preview” and not “Save” just yet. Make sure you like what you see. If not just go back to “Appearance” and “Close” so your changes to the code are not permanent! If you like it click on “Save”.
This is not as hard as it seems and I’ve just tried to be as detailed as possible.