Photo from icanhascheezburger here. No this isn’t a galaxy shirt bleach dye tutorial, but rather suggestions on how to post a DIY on Tumblr (and this has nothing to do with how to get featured).
Suggestions for Posting a DIY on Tumblr
- DO PHOTO POSTS - not TEXT POSTS. Text posts with photos are hard to search in your archive and there’s no reason for them (unless it is a text post). Also, you can always have a photo post and then add more photos to the text below.
- If you did the DIY in your photo say so! I love knowing a craft was done by a Tumblr blogger. Better yet tell your readers how you did it
- Post the original source to a tutorial, not just a click through link but the actual name of the source/blog (it’s required by 99.99% of bloggers that you mention the name of their blog in their copyright policy). Also, please don’t link to a link to a link. That’s just annoying.
- If you are linking from the original source, pick the best photo to show the DIY. Think about how it’s going to look on your theme (I like square photos and 4x6 vertical photos best, but of course post other sizes).
- Don’t post an entire tutorial from a blog. It violates copyright law and you only need one, two or three (or whatever is allowed) photos to show the final DIY. Readers who want more info should be able to go to the original source to look at safety instructions, comments, problems with the DIY etc… I won’t feature or reblog anyone who copies the entire tutorial.
- Use google image search to see if someone else has posted what you’re going to post. Most of the time it works and you can type in tumblr.com to see if anyone on Tumblr has already posted it. MORE INFO HERE. *If someone has already posted it and it’s been featured I’ll have seen it and with my bizarre memory for images I will remember it.
- REBLOG if someone found the DIY before you - don’t let your ego get in the way like some people do and make a totally new post. The blogging world is small and everyone remembers who was courteous to them and who wasn’t.
- Don’t get upset if you get rude comments for whatever you post - because you probably will. This is Tumblr and remember, “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.