∞ What Semi-Practical Present to Make a Sister Going to College? Thank you for the great suggestions!
truebluemeandyou: Crafty or Thoughtful Gifts for College. Dollar Store Crafts just got asked this very same question here (where you can see her readers’ suggestions) and I commented using some of my readers’ suggestions (making many many grammatical errors as it’s 2:30am and I’m sleepy). Any new suggestions?
fuxwitutoo asked you:So my little sister is graduating high school soon and I wanted to get a jump on making her a present. I wanted to make her something that she might actually be able to use at college though, not just something pretty. Do you have any ideas for a pretty but still useful thing for a new college kid?My answer:
I emailed some friends in college and their moms because I was stumped by this question. Also, I don’t know what your skill set is crafting wise. Their suggestions:
- Throw pillow for dorm bed. You could iron on anything you wanted using an injet printer and inkjet fusible fabric.
- Laundry sack - a good drawstring bag tutorial just came up yesterday by The Gunny Sack and has the trendy red cross on it here.
- Some sort of decorative carrier for toiletries since you have to schelp them to the bathroom. You could buy a generic one from the Dollar Store (even one to hold cleaning supplies) and paint it, add stickers, etc…
- Small Decorative bulletin board/white erase board you can buy at the Dollar Store and then decorate.
- One mom said she bought her daughter “Stay Calm and Carry on” stuff because her daughter is always so stressed out. You could generate your own with the keep calm generator I posted about here, and again use fusible fabric (from staples, Michaels, etc…) you run through your inkjet printer to put on pillows, laundry bags etc…
- Small Jewelry Box/Makeup Organizer. Look in hardware stores (small tackle boxes are good), Michaels etc… and personalize it.
- Small Photo Album of friends, family and pets she’ll miss - also Dollar Store or Michaels with coupon.Suggestions from my incredibly crafty Tumblr friends:
- sherlockcat answered: Fleece knotted fringe blankets in her new college colors. The kind where you take two layers of polar fleece, fringe the edges and knot!
- maniacalmadhra said: Patchwork quilt are always cute and very home like :) my friend is making one for me when I move.
- beatingheart answered: Paint or mod podge a wood storage box (shoebox size to trunk size) & fill w/ her favorite goodies. Then she can reuse for her own purposes.
- coraforest answered: Photo calendars are a great way to display photos, they can be made online, or you can design and print it yourself with a Word template. *Really cheap online right now with coupons/buy 1 get 2 free etc…
- clearlyunclear answered: Make sure to put some cute flipflops in the caddy! An over the door storage hanger! with small gifts like tissues and highlighters in it!
- 4-get-me-not answered: Cute laptop/bookbags are always a handy, stylish gift. :)
- procraftinate said: Printer ink. Or detergent Drops!
- laquinn answered: something for her jewelry…